11. 24. 14.
I hope you all had an awesome weekend! Today's look is a fun and interesting one, since we have the mix of colors and patterns, but in a way that's more subtle. If you remember a few weeks ago, I recorded a video, How to Pattern Mix Like a Pro, in which I explained some of the methods you see demonstrated in this pairing. First, you'll notice that I selected my upper body to feature the largest and most vibrant print and the shoes to feature the smallest and darkest. The location or placement of the size of the print will vary depending on your body shape and where you want the pattern to stand out most. For me, since I'm a pear shape, I want the volume to be placed up top, to balance out my hips, which is why I opted for this bomber.
Another strategy you'll notice that I mentioned in the video, was the colors used for both patterns. I mentioned in the video that if you're not certain if a print goes together, select patterns that feature the same or similar color scheme, to create a nice blended look. That's exactly what I did here. Both pieces have blue, white, and a deep red, which creates a cohesive and blended look, one that doesn't clash.
Below is a very similar look I created, regardless of your body shape. Although I mentioned above that the location or placement of the prints will vary depending on your body shape, if you happen to like this very look, I'm giving you an idea how you can still pull it off, regardless of your shape or silhouette. Remember, in fashion, there are generally exceptions to the "rules", it's just a matter of selecting pieces that can help bring the look together in a way that's flattering to successfully pull it off!
If you have larger hips, i.e. a pear or hourglass shape, you can wear the look as I'm wearing it above with a dark wash skinny jean. Although the leg is slim and can make the hips appear wider, the fact that it's in a dark wash with minimal fading will help counteract that. However, there is another style that would work and that's a flared leg in a dark wash.
If you have a larger bust or midsection, such as an apple or inverted triangle shape, a light wash bootcut with a substantial amount of fading, will help in preventing the bust or midsection from appearing larger, due to the volume of the bomber and print. The width of the bootcut will help balance out the width up top and the lighter denim will help add some visual weight to your lower body, since white and lighter colors help reflect light.
I hope this post inspired you to play around with some paisley and polka dotted pieces you may have in your wardrobe!
PS: The 7 for all mankind jeans seen in the set I created above can be found at an outlet store or search your local Marshalls, Tjmaxx, or Burlington Coat Factory for a much more cheaper price!
11. 22. 14.
I hope you're all having a wonderful weekend thus far! After talking with my husband last night about some suggestions he has on what a man would like for the holidays, he gave me some real great insight as to what men really want, which may even include him, lol! One would think that men are easy to shop for and less difficult than women, but I actually think it's the other way around! Since they tend to communicate less, which has been statistically proven, it can sometimes be challenging to get inside their head to know what it is they really want. They often mask their deepest wishes by saying, as long as you and the kids (if you have any) are happy, that's all that matters and while that's really sweet, we want to score big by getting them something really special and one they'll be sure to use.
With Eddie's tips, we came up with six guaranteed man approved gifts for the man in your life, either your husband, dad, grandfather, brother, or uncle. Take a look at the list below:
1. Burberry Touch for Men- Eddie shared that this cologne is the most talked about among men. All the men he knows, rave about this scent; so we guess that yours will, too! I mean, what man doesn't like to smell good?! Regardless if he's a "man's, man", like my dad, one who's always breaking things to fix them or one who's more white collar, the scent is universal in that regard.
2. Nordstrom Classic Fit Supima Cotton T-Shirt- This is a guaranteed essential for every man in your life, so when you're really just not sure what to get, this is your safest bet for sure! Just make sure that you find out how the man in your life likes his undershirts to fit, some like them really snug, while others like them to fit a little loose. Also, make sure that you find out whether he likes a crew neck (circular neck) or a v-neck. Eddie prefers v-necks, so I dare not buy crew or else I get the, "oh, that's nice." A clue for that was nice hun, but not really what I like and back to the store we go! This particular shirt from Nordstrom has extraordinary reviews from men, which really helps in having that extra assurance!
3. Philips Norelco Shaver 3100- My husband always stresses the importance of having a great high quality shaver for the closest and smoothest shave possible. Just like us ladies swear by the Clarisonic, for a nice clean feeling after removing our makeup, they too have the desire to have a nice clean and soft feeling after shaving. Plus, a good quality shaver helps in preventing shaver pumps and ingrown hairs. Regardless if your man loves a long beard, a subtle go t, or an absolute hair free face, he will love and appreciate this great quality shaver!
4. Tie- This may seem like a standard gift for a man, but the truth is that a tie will always come in handy! If your man works in an environment that requires the use of a tie, then this must definitely be on your check list. Now that fashion blogging has become such a huge influence in every day fashion inspiration and wear, there has been the establishment and proven influence of male fashion bloggers and how their dapper outfits and pairings have helped our men get out of their work wear rut. Within the past few months, Eddie has been really getting into fashion and has been putting a lot more thought and effort into his suit pairings for work. He's always on the hunt for a great and unique pocket square and tie. The reason these two have become so popular in making a fashion statement, is that if a man doesn't necessarily have a lot of suits, but has a lot of ties and pocket squares, which are much more affordable, it can make it appear as though he has many suits, since he can switch up his look with the mix and match combo of both or just the tie. There are also men that don't work in an environment that requires the use of a tie, but they still prefer to wear them with sweater vests and cardigans for a preppy look. So, regardless of the style of the man your shopping for, a tie is great option!
5. Beats by Dre HD Headphones- We've all heard the hype and rave surrounding the Beats by Dre headphones and how they really do help in enhancing one's music experience, which is why this is one of our suggestions. There is nothing like escaping the reality and current surroundings of the hustle and bustle, then relaxing to a great song OR enhancing one's workout with a great tune; trust me, when I work out and forget my earphones, it's like my workout is completely ruined before it has even begun (I'm sure many of you can attest to this!). They come in an array of different colors, I simply selected black since it's basic, but if you know your man's favorite color, by all means select that color. However, if you don't know, just get black. The last thing you want to do is purchase a pair of headphones in a color that he doesn't like, which of course will make him not want to wear them.
6. Salvatore Ferragamo Reversible Belt- This gift is definitely a splurge, but it's one that he's sure to use and wear for many years to come! My husband actually has this belt and wears it practically everyday. What he loves about it is that it's reversible, so he can easily switch from black or brown, depending on which color goes best with his look. For men, this is probably one of the most worn accessories, which is why we suggest it. It can be worn with a suit, jeans, or with dressy pants and sweater for a more business casual feel, it's versatility and style is endless and timeless. Plus, you can select the metal color of the buckle, either gold or silver, depending on his preference or skin-tone.
I hope you all found this post helpful in coming up with gift ideas for that special man in your life. I know it can certainly be a challenge, but hopefully this will help take the stress out of selecting the perfect gift(s)!
I will continue to post gift guides and ideas throughout the remainder of the holiday season, so do continue to check back, specifically the 'SHOP section of the blog!
11. 19. 14.
This week's video will hopefully give you all some ideas and inspiration for your Thanksgiving get-together next week. Can you believe that Thanksgiving is already next week?! I know I can't! Before you know it, it'll be 2015! Anyway, before I become stressed by how fast time is flying (lol), I came up with three different looks that I feel are perfect for the holiday. Watch the video below and check out the photos for a closer look of each piece (click the comment button to take you over to the photos!)
11. 17. 14.
DRESS: Kaisley (Marshalls)// TIGHTS: Marshalls// BOOTIES: Nine West// LIPS: Milani's sugar plum liner and Sangria lipstick
Happy Monday, loves!
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Many of you, if not all, most likely noticed that I haven't been creating date night posts discussing our (me and my hubby) dinners and my look for the night in a while. We decided that it would be best for me to feature outfits I create and wear throughout the week that would be a great option and inspiration for your date nights or girls night out. It was becoming close to impossible to find locations with good lighting at 10pm, plus we were often exhausted and it was kind of showing up in my face in some photos, lol! I hope you all understand.
On another note, I found this dress while strolling through the aisle of a Marshalls store, just hanging isolated from all other pieces, waiting for me! I instantly fell in love with the detailing across the shoulders and chest and loved how different it looked, so I went to try it on and loved the way it fit as well. Not bad for $25 bucks right?! I actually love when I find pieces, as I'm sure you all do, that are super inexpensive and look much more than what I paid, which I feel is the case with this dress. I actually thought it was one of BCBGenearation's pieces, since it does look like a piece that would be apart of their collection.
However, this is a dress that can totally be made at home (DIY)! All you would need is a plain, well fitting, black sweater dress (or any other color of your choice), glue, a glue gun, and of course pom poms! If you're not feeling too crafty, no worries; I created some shoppable alternatives that I would suggest for your body shape, all of which can be done at home as well, if you do happen to change your mind :)
I decided to create a look featuring pom poms on a pair of dressier shorts for all my apple shaped ladies because I believe that pomps on the upper body can add more visual weight, especially if you tend to be very busty. I think this is a great alternative because it exudes the same classy/chic, yet fun vibe that the dress I'm wearing does, while adding some more focus to those fabulous legs of yours!
I always mention that it's important for all my rectangular shaped ladies to consider creating outfits that re-establish the waistline and upper and lower portions. While this shape does look great in looks that don't necessarily skim the surface of the body, it is great to have some options for what would help in placing a focus on the different sections of the body, instead of a whole and this look does just that! The sweater adds dimension to the bust, while the a-line skirt adds a subtle width in the hip and thigh areas.
As for my fellow pear shaped ladies, I would definitely suggest a dress like the one I wore, if you happen to come across one. I searched for what seemed like hours for a dress like this and found nothing! As mentioned before, you could totally turn this post into a DIY with some tools you may already have in your home, especially if you have little ones, those pom poms can now come in handy and that plain black sweater dress can definitely be transformed into something a bit more exciting!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
11. 14. 14.
FAUX FUR VEST: TjMaxx// WHITE TOP: Cynthia Rowley (Marshalls)// JEANS: 1st Kiss (Marshalls)// SCARF: Charming Charlie// BRACELET: Little Switzerland in Aruba// RING: c/o Kendra Scott// PURSE: Tory Burch// SHOES: Tory Burch
Today's look is a very chic city inspired pairing. When you live in or commute to a busy city, as I do, it's very important to look chic and put together and feel comfortable at the same time! What makes this outfit chic is the neutral color palette and pattern combination. The main colors are white, beige, and black, with hints of gold and cheetah/leopard print thrown in to make things interesting. What makes it comfortable is that the long sleeve top is paired with a cozy oversized fur vest and a scarf draped around the neck for added warmth. Plus, there's the addition of Tory flats, which are super comfy. I get asked about these flats quite often and I actually found them at the outlet store about two years ago. I searched high and low to find them for you, but to no avail. However, I did find the espadrilles, which are quite similar, which are included in the shoppable scroll bar above. They are super cute and can certainly be worn now, as well as during the spring and summer months. The only thing is that they don't have that dressed up feel as the one's I'm wearing do. Since they're espadrilles, they have more of a casual feel to them, making them perfect to be paired with distressed jeans or the same look I'm wearing above. If I do come across them, rest assured I will post links EVERYWHERE!
To continue on, to be city chic is to be classy yet practical. As much as I love my sky high heels, running to catch trains and buses in them just doesn't cut it, at least most of the time! I have caught my fair share of public transit running in heels, from one side of Grand Central Terminal to the other, which if you've ever visited New York, you'll see a lot of!
Anyway, I hope you found some inspiration in this look! I made some minor changes to it for what I'd suggest for the inverted triangle and apple shapes, which I hope you enjoy!XO,Jalisa